Item Title

Item Description
5 years ago #1
Dubai
Level: 2
Unfortunately with the issues yesterday and spending most of the day cleaning up and recovering, this is a bit behind schedule. But it will go out tomorrow Wednesday, the 16th of October.

I will also be pruning combat logs older than 30 days before pushing this live. So that's one reason I'm pushing it to tomorrow, just so you have some warning.

The new combat system won't be immediately spectacular. There is some re-balancing of stats and equipment, so you should see less one-sided combats. Well, they'll still be one sided but you may sometimes get a small hit in before going down. One shot kills should be diminished, although they will still be possible at a certain strength difference.

- Combat will no longer be Person A swings at Person B, followed by Person B swings at Person A. Initiative will be based on a ratio of speed statistics. So Person A may swing four times before Person B swings.

- The flavor text is built to be expandable, although that feature isn't utilized right now. But it does mean that combat can be spruced up a bit message-wise in the future when we're feeling creative.

- Resolution text is also built to be expandable

- The biggest difference that will be immediately noticeable is you no longer fight someone, and then resolve combat by mugging cash, mugging diamonds, hospitalize or leaving them. Instead you end up with two branches, robbing them or fighting them. Robbing them will grab cash and diamonds if it can, and fighting them will hospitalize them longer and give more experience. Fighting them is also what you'll do to fulfill bounties or for gang wars. You will be able to choose which route you want to take before combat, to prevent fighting someone then trying to resolve and finding out someone else had done the same thing.

- Robbing them may in the future have a chance to grab item(s) off of them, if/when this is added this is how it'll be done.

- There are also some added stats into the mix that combat will use. But you currently don't have access to anything that will improve those stats yet, but just wait and see.
5 years ago #2
Las Vegas
Level: 112
Sounds great
5 years ago #3
Las Vegas
Level: 114
This is either going to work out really well or really poorly for me.
5 years ago #4
Las Vegas
Level: 100
Seems well nice. I flavor the Speed difference. It makes it seem more... Legit and how a real fight may go
5 years ago #5
Dubai
Originally posted by Quee This is either going to work out really well or really poorly for me.

The most major change for you, might be people could in theory gang up to throw themselves at you until one wins. But that would take major coordination, or you to be non-responsive(offline for example). So you might not want to hang around with lots of money/diamonds on you if you're not paying attention.

Update

The last major coding piece looks to be complete, in that you can view fights from the fight log.

Really all that's left is the update to the combat log storage to accommodate the changes in the dev version. Which requires the current version to be pruned down, something that I thought was set up to be automatic but apparently wasn't. It's also taking longer than anticipated, given it's about halfway through purging and it's been a few hours. It may not be done in time to finish everything off to live today unfortunately.

Starting to wish I'd just dumped all the fights and had this be a fresh start, but oh well.

We'll see how far it gets today if this is feasible, if not I'll have to put it off until the morning.
5 years ago #6
Dubai
Yup, going to let it keep running and compacting the data, and hopefully it'll be ready to handle the next step in the morning.

My apologies, I sometimes forget how slow database processes can take and underestimate them .

I'm a terrible person, this is true.
5 years ago #7
Dubai
And it's swapped live, let's see if things blow up.

As I said, you shouldn't see anything super major for this part of the change.
5 years ago #8
Las Vegas
i think there is a bit off a problem when i try to attack anyone who isnt in a gang it says Failed: They are in the same gang!
5 years ago #9
Dubai
Corrected that, forgot to test that case.

Should work now.
5 years ago #10
Las Vegas
works now